Vehicle Registration

If you are a new resident in New Hampshire, you must register your vehicles within 60 days of moving to the State unless the state you came from has a lesser regulation (Massachusetts allows only 30 days, Florida only 10 days.) Proof of identity and proof of residency in Stoddard are required. Also, any "non-resident" registering a vehicle and/or trailer in NH must "garage" their vehicle and/or trailer in NH 365 days per year.

Titled Vehicles: Any vehicle manufactured in 2000, or later,  must be titled in New Hampshire before it can be registered. NH dealers prepare title applications for new and used vehicles and provide a town Clerk's copy (a blue paper) that you present when you come to our office. New vehicles purchased out-of-state come with a certificate of origin, which is surrendered to the Town Clerk in place of a title. Used vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealer come with the existing title, completed with sales signatures on the back and correct odometer reading. This title is surrendered to the Town Clerk. Vehicles purchased through private sales must also come with the existing title filled out on the back, which is surrendered to the Town Clerk. The cost to title a vehicle is $25.00, payable to NH-DMV. The Town Clerk charges a fee of $2.00 to file a title application.

Exempt Vehicles: A vehicle or trailer (3,000 pounds or less) which is a year 2000 or newer is required to have a new title. In order to do the initial registration of an exempt vehicle, you must bring a bill of sale and one of the following: the previously issued New Hampshire registration or copy, the former owner's title or a copy, or a completed TDMV 19-A form. This form can be printed from the NH Dept. of Motor Vehicle website and completed prior to arrival at the Town Clerk's office. The form is also available at the Town Clerk's office.

New Registration: Vehicle owners in New Hampshire pay two registration fees: one to the Town based upon the Suggested Retail Price (SRP) value of the vehicle when new, and one to the State based upon the weight of the vehicle and the type of plate issued. The Town Clerk in Stoddard can do the State portion of the registration and collect the State fees for automobiles, motorcycles, trailers and trucks with a gross weight of 80,000 pounds or less. Beyond 80,000 pounds the State portion must be processed at a NH DMV sub-station after the Town portion has been paid.

Transferring Plates: A plate from a vehicle registered in your name may be transferred to another vehicle registered in your name for fees of $10.00 to NH-DMV and a minimum of $9.50 to the Town of Stoddard. The old registration must be surrendered to the Town Clerk. It will be sent to the State with the new registration document. Do not give the old registration to the buyer or the dealer. Credit for the months remaining on your old registration will be given when applicable. The transfer on a lease-to-private or private-to-lease transaction can also be completed at the Town Clerk's Office .

Renewals: Your vehicle registration expires on the last day of the owner's birth month. Your vehicle must be re-registered annually during the month of your birthday. The owner will receive a notice of expiration approximately the 15th of the prior month. Vehicle registration renewals can be completed via mail by sending the proper fees and a self-addressed envelope. The owner may also come into the Town Clerk's office to complete the registration process in person. Cash and checks are accepted as method of payment.

Early Renewals: Vehicles may be registered up to four months before their registrations expire, thus accomodating owners who will be away during the expiration month.

Leased Vehicles: The registration of a leased vehicle expires during the month that corresponds with the name of the leasing company, not the owner's birth month.

Seasonal Residents: Owning a vacation home does not qualify one as a resident, however, you may register a vehicle as a "non-resident". The vehicle must be garaged in New Hampshire and used only in New Hampshire.

Inspections: All registered vehicles must be inspected by the end of the expiration month. There is a 10 day grace period into the following month. Inspections must be done with a current registration, either after registration renewal or up to three months prior to re-registration. Vehicles registered for the first time by an owner must be inspected within ten days of the registration date.

Drivers license renewals: drivers licenses expire every five years on your birthday and must be renewed at the NH Dept. of Motor Vehicles or any sub-station. Their NH DMV office hours in Keene are Monday-Wednesday from 8:15 am - 4:15 pm. A reminder letter will be sent by the State.

Boat Registrations and Renewals (decals): Bring your paperwork or current registration to the Town Clerk to obtain registration and renewal decals.